'Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score'

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 22 Sep 09:11PM
     Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 22 Sep 09:35PM
         Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 22 Sep 10:19PM
     Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Kai Struck, 22 Sep 10:06PM
         Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Laurence Payne, 22 Sep 10:15PM
             Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 22 Sep 11:50PM
         Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 22 Sep 10:20PM
         Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 23 Sep 06:30PM
             Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Wim Hoogewerf, 23 Sep 08:26PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 24 Sep 12:08AM
             Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Laurence Payne, 23 Sep 08:45PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 24 Sep 12:06AM
                     Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Laurence Payne, 24 Sep 12:29AM
                         Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 24 Sep 01:01AM
                             Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Laurence Payne, 24 Sep 09:15AM
                         Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Robert Enns, 24 Sep 01:03AM
                             Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 24 Sep 01:14AM

Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score
Posted by Mimi Mansky - 22 Sep 09:11PM
Is it permissable to create a pick-up bar in MIDDLE of a score? I am having a problem with measure 9 in my score.

Thanks in advance.

Mimi

--
Windows 7,GB8, Sibelius 7.1.2
Attachment My Father's House 9-21-12 for ORGAN__Vers_4_4_1_1.sib (85K)

Back to top | All threads

Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score
Posted by Daniel formerly at Sibelius - 22 Sep 09:35PM (edited 22 Sep 09:40PM)
Rather than creating a pick-up bar in the middle of the score, try creating an irregular bar instead: Home > Bars > Add > Multiple or Irregular Bars.

--
Contact Sibelius technical help online:
http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/contact.html

Contact Sibelius technical help by phone (charges may apply):
USA & Canada: +1 650-731-6106
UK: +44 (0)1753 658585
Australia: 1300 652 172
Other countries: www.sibelius.com/support

Posted by Mimi Mansky - 22 Sep 10:19PM
Daniel,

Thank you for your help; however here is a new attachment of what I actually did in Measure 9 where the highlighting is.
I two 16th notes.

I will try your instructions though.

Mimi

--
Attachment My Father's House 9-22-12 for ORGAN__Vers_5-1_1.sib (129K)

Posted by Kai Struck - 22 Sep 10:06PM
You select the last note in the bar and cut the bar into half. There is a button on the Ribbon under Start/Bars.

Posted by Laurence Payne - 22 Sep 10:15PM
It's always good to hear from you, Mimi. But isn't this the same bar-splitting thing we helped you with last May and last March? :-)

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/chat/chat.pl?com=thread&start=536564&groupid=3&words=split%20bar&name=mimi#536619

Posted by Mimi Mansky - 22 Sep 11:50PM
Daniel,

You are right. I'll try to solve it myself.

Mimi

--

Posted by Mimi Mansky - 22 Sep 10:20PM
Hi Kai,

Thanks for your instructions. I will try that.

Mimi

--

Posted by Mimi Mansky - 23 Sep 06:30PM
Hi Kai,

I'm still having a problem with spliting measures 9 & 10. I looked in a hymnal and counted the bars before the irregular bar and I am trying to get my bar to be 2 beats and then the third beat in the bar after it is split.

I am attaching the copy of my score.

Sorry to be so dense, but am finding this difficult.

Thanks in advance.

Mimi

--
Attachment My Father's House 9-22-12 for ORGAN__Vers_5-3_1.sib (129K)

Posted by Wim Hoogewerf - 23 Sep 08:26PM
First write the minim as two tied crotchets. Next you can split.
You may want the organ to sound on the 2nd beat and then tied to the upbeat of the next line. You should handle this manually.

--
MacOS 10.7.2

Posted by Mimi Mansky - 24 Sep 12:08AM
Hi Wim,

Thanks for the help. I'll try your suggestion.

Mimi

--

Posted by Laurence Payne - 23 Sep 08:45PM (edited 23 Sep 08:47PM)
You've got in a right mess, haven't you! Let's go back to the first version you showed us. Look at my attachment. It shows what to do for the result (I think) you want. I've added a second page showing the result.

Are you sure you want 16ths, not 8ths? It seemed right the first time.
Attachment LP_My Father's House 9-21-12 for ORGAN__Vers_4_4_1_1(1).sib (89K)

Posted by Mimi Mansky - 24 Sep 12:06AM
Laurence,

Thank you very much. I will have to hope that the second half of that bar doesn't stay stretched out like it did on mine so that the other bars could NOT follow it.

Mimi

--

Posted by Laurence Payne - 24 Sep 12:29AM
If odd layout things happen, Select All, Unlock Format and start over. It won't destroy your bar-splitting.

It only takes a few seconds then to select any barline where you want to force a line break, and press Return.

A few other points about your score.

You had chosen a very strange paper size. I reset it to Letter.

It's a good idea, in any stave, to use Voice 1 first, then Voice 2... I can see your logic in choosing Voices 3 and 4 for your bass stave, but 1 and 2 would have been fine, and made it easier to deal with unwanted rests.

Posted by Mimi Mansky - 24 Sep 01:01AM
Thanks Laurence,

I did the split, but the way it worked with me, the elongated bar didn't reset itself. I had to go to irregular bar and put the two eighth notes in with the "plus" symbol between, then delete the elongated bar and put the 2 eighth notes in the empty bar that appeared.

I did try to use voices 1 and 2 in the treble cleff, but they didn't line up correctly.

Mimi

--

Posted by Laurence Payne - 24 Sep 09:15AM
> Thanks Laurence,
>
> I did the split, but the way it worked with me, the elongated bar didn't reset itself. I had to go to irregular bar and put the two eighth notes in with the "plus" symbol between, then delete the elongated bar and put the 2 eighth notes in the empty bar that appeared.
>
> I did try to use voices 1 and 2 in the treble cleff, but they didn't line up correctly.

What elongated bar? You are trying to split a 3/4 bar into a 2/4 plus a 1/4, so that you can have a line break at the new barline.

I think your previously-locked format is working against you. Make Select All and Unlock Format the first things you do!

Voices line up nicely if you use Voice 1 for the higher, stems-up notes, Voice 2 for the lower, stems-down ones. If you've got yourself in a muddle from previous flipping, select the whole bar or passage, open the Inspector and click the Flip box twice. The first click will flip EVERYTHING, the second will flip nothing.

What you want to do is actually very simple. But you first need to clear out the mess left by previous unsuccessful attempts!

Posted by Robert Enns - 24 Sep 01:03AM (edited 24 Sep 01:06AM)
Just a another way to make a series of bars become one system (line) Mimi.
Click once on the first bar so it turns blue and then Shift Click on the last bar you wish to be all on one system or line of music.
Then Shift Alt M.

In the original case when you split the bar and the refrain bar 9 took up a whole line...
You can select bar 9 so it turns blue
Shift click on bar 13 so that 9 to 13 are all selected (blue)
and hit Shift Alt M.

--
Rob
Win 7 64 bit, 3.1 GHz, 8 Gigs RAM
Sibelius 7.1.2, Sibelius Sounds 7.1.2, Photoscore Ult., GPO4

Posted by Mimi Mansky - 24 Sep 01:14AM
Robert,

Thanks for your help.

I will try your suggestion.

Mimi

--

Quick reply

To add a reply to the end of this thread, type it below, then click Reply.

(.sib, .png and .jpg only)

Messages in this thread

Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 22 Sep 09:11PM
     Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Daniel formerly at Sibelius, 22 Sep 09:35PM
         Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 22 Sep 10:19PM
     Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Kai Struck, 22 Sep 10:06PM
         Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Laurence Payne, 22 Sep 10:15PM
             Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 22 Sep 11:50PM
         Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 22 Sep 10:20PM
         Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 23 Sep 06:30PM
             Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Wim Hoogewerf, 23 Sep 08:26PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 24 Sep 12:08AM
             Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Laurence Payne, 23 Sep 08:45PM
                 Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 24 Sep 12:06AM
                     Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Laurence Payne, 24 Sep 12:29AM
                         Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 24 Sep 01:01AM
                             Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Laurence Payne, 24 Sep 09:15AM
                         Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Robert Enns, 24 Sep 01:03AM
                             Re: Sib. 7.0: pick-up bars in middle of score - Mimi Mansky, 24 Sep 01:14AM